Friday, July 6, 2012

Blogpost #2


     The discussion that interested me the most were the antics on Mrs. Hall. It really helped me understand why Mrs. Hall acted the way she was towards Ruth and her two daughters. Being conservative and looking at Ruth’s way of living, even when she was with Harry, really angered her. I’m writing about Mrs. Hall for my essay, so the class discussion also also gave me some really good passages in the novel to write about.

I also learned a lot more about Mrs. Hall when Katy had to stay with her and the doctor. It was a chance for Mrs. Hall to change Katy into another conservative Christian lady like herself, since she couldn’t get to Ruth. Mrs. Hall says “ go get that stool, now sit down on it, at my feet, and let me cut off those foolish dangling curls” (Fern, 165) to Katy. Mrs. Hall knew that her mother Ruth liked them, so she cut them off. Mrs. Hall didn’t like Ruth’s blonde curls either, since it was considered ‘fashionable’, but she couldn’t do anything about Ruth. Mrs. Hall also says to Katy while cutting her hair, “you are to always live with me now, Katy; it makes no difference what your mother thinks or says about anything, so you needn’t quote her; I’m going to try to make a good girl of you.” (Fern, 165) And then says “You ought to love me very much for it, better than anybody else in the world- don’t you?” (Fern, 165) When Katy stayed silent, Mrs. Hall repeated herself. That passage really showed how strict she is and how Mrs. Hall is willing to do anything to sculpt Katy into the perfect little girl and to make her despise her own mother.


2 comments:

  1. Kayla, this blog post is interesting and very well focused. The quotes you chose support your main idea well. It is also good that you follow up the quotes with your analysis of them and describe how they support your main idea. The only thing I might recommend is a bit more detail in your introduction explaining what you are discussing. For example, "In my english 260 class we discussed Fanny Fern's Ruth Hall." Generally, this post was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Not introduction or this is the introduction(?))The discussion that interested me the most were the antics on Mrs. Hall. It really helped me understand why Mrs. Hall acted the way she was towards Ruth and her two daughters. (What she is acting that way could you explains) Being conservative and looking at Ruth’s way of living, even when she was with Harry, really angered her. (?) I’m writing about Mrs. Hall for my essay, so the class discussion also also(?) gave me some really good passages in the novel to write about. Could you mention some examples or a brief summary of your passages? Still I don’t know what you talk about? I also learned a lot more about Mrs.Hall(!) when Katy had to stay with her and the doctor. (What you learned?)It was a chance for Mrs. Hall to change Katy into another conservative Christian lady like herself, since she couldn’t get to Ruth. Mrs. Hall says “ go get that stool, now sit down on it, at my feet, and let me cut off those foolish dangling curls” (Fern, 165) (MLA) to Katy. Mrs. Hall knew that her mother Ruth liked them, so she cut them off. Mrs. Hall didn’t like Ruth’s blonde curls either, since it was considered ‘fashionable’, but she couldn’t do anything about Ruth. Mrs. Hall also says to Katy while cutting her hair, “you are to always live with me now, Katy; it makes no difference what your mother thinks or says about anything, so you needn’t quote her; I’m going to try to make a good girl of you.” (Fern, 165) (MLA) And then says, “You ought to love me very much for it, better than anybody else in the world- don’t you?” (Fern, 165) (!)When Katy stayed silent, Mrs. Hall repeated herself. That passage really showed how strict she is and how Mrs. Hall is willing to do anything to sculpt Katy into the perfect little girl and to make her despise her own mother.
    A Good Job!! I think that you can give more! “Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have is the true failure.” George E. Woodbury. Remembers that sometime we need to double check our work! (MLA) and some Grammar errors!

    ReplyDelete